In 1838 the Constitution of the state of Florida was signed in Port St. Joe, and Florida became a state seven years later. In 1938, on the centennial of that historic signing, a newly constructed Art Deco building was dedicated near the location where the signing took place. On March 12, 1996, the building was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Known today as the "Centennial Building", this historic structure, along with an equally significant steam-powered locomotive now anchor Constitution Park, encompassing two city blocks adjacent the Constitution Convention Museum State Park and Constitution Monument.
The park was established in 2008, and includes three soccer fields sized appropriately for younger children, a small playground and a large covered pavilion with commercial-sized barbeque grills and picnic tables.